Front Desk, Recreation Center
Responsible for providing a variety of services to customers as the first point-of-contact in-person, over the telephone, or in writing in a building or in a park. Provides friendly, welcoming, and helpful accurate recreation facility and program information, and processes park permits, program registration and payments for services at MPRB recreation centers.
Duties Performs under the general supervision of the Recreation Facility Specialist and is responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
* Responsible to be welcoming, friendly and helpful, and provide accurate information about MPRB programs, facilities and amenities to diverse customers and callers. Ensures that public entrance doors are open and/or locked at designated times.
* Ensure that public information materials are kept current and accessible to diverse park patrons.
* Accurately and in a timely manner collect fees and enters revenue into the cash receipts system per MPRB policies.
* Ensure security of assigned records, money, and supplies.
* Courteously and respectfully works directly with the diverse public in person and over the phone giving out general information, answering questions, explaining procedures, and gathering facts and pertinent information regarding positive feedback, problems and complaints.
* Greet park and recreation center guests, business contacts, and Park Board staff in a courteous, welcoming and friendly manner directing them to proper locations or events, and responding to requests for general information.
* Courteously and respectfully respond to customer inquiries via telephone, in person and/or in writing as required.
* Assist with databases, filing, copying, collating and mailings in the recreation center.
* Keep supervisor and other appropriate staff promptly informed of problems or other matters related to MPRB facilities, services or programs that affect customer services.
* Perform a variety of office support activities.
* In a timely manner set-up and break-down meeting, activity and event spaces.
* Accurately follow MPRB security policy and procedures for opening and closing of recreation facility.
* Develop positive rapport with patrons to maintain order and safety at the facilities and provide effective customer service to a diverse customer base.
* Perform light housekeeping in the recreation facility, keeping Recreation Facility Specialist informed of any conditions that need immediate attention.
* Refer service requests or questions to appropriate staff when necessary.
* Coordinate with appropriate staff to ensure that MPRB web information and written park information, marquees are accurate and current.
* Assist program leads when needed and requested.
* Follow emergency preparedness procedures.
* Keep front desk area organized and neat at all times.
* Ensure that the Americans with Disabilities Act regulations are met or exceeded.
* Demonstrate continuous effort to streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
* Respond effectively and in a timely manner to administrative requests.
* Keep supervisor promptly informed of matters as they relate to the recreation center, department and MPRB.
* Perform other related duties as apparent or assigned.
Requirements Training and Experience (position requirements at entry)
* High school diploma or GED
* A minimum of two years of related experience
* Knowledge of (position requirements at entry)
* Computers, Microsoft software, computerized public information and reservation systems, phone systems and standard office equipment
* Cultural competence in engaging people from diverse communities.
* Outstanding customer service principles, practices and standards for a diverse customer base.
Skills and Ability to: (position requirements at entry)
* Work independently and in a team environment, appropriately balancing needs of both, and adapt to changing conditions and situations.
* Assess customer needs and resolve problems appropriately.
* Maintain confidentiality of information, maintaining a gossip free environment.
* Follow emergency preparedness procedures.
* Provide both oral and written communication that is easily understood and direct in its content.
* Listen effectively to understand thoroughly the intended message.
* Establish and maintain effective, respectful, and productive working relationships.
* Negotiate effective and appropriate solutions to difficult conflicts.
* Organize workload, negotiate and meet deadlines and prioritize issues, identifying which issues require immediate attention and taking effective and appropriate action based on that determination.
* Assist in developing partnerships with other organizations and jurisdictions in the community.
* Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
* Attend all required in-service and staff trainings.
* Provide outstanding customer service with a diverse customer base.
* Keep front desk area organized
Additional Information CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK:
A criminal background check is necessary for positions with this job title. Upon receiving a conditional offer of employment, the applicant will be asked to sign an informed consent allowing the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board to obtain their criminal history in connection with the position sought. An applicant who does not sign the informed consent will not be considered further for this position.
The part-time Front Desk, Recreation position is a civil service position. Applicants can apply online at minneapolisparks.org/jobs and click on Internal Opportunities.
The examination/selection process for this position will consist of a rating of training and experience based on application materials and supplemental questions (100%). Applicants are reminded to be complete and thorough when filling out the application. Applicants may choose to attach a cover letter and resume as part of the online application; however, it is not a substitute for the application and supplemental questions. Minimum passing score is 70.00. Past performance and discipline may be considered. Human Resources reserves the right to limit the number of people invited to subsequent testing events. Eligible list will expire in three (3) months from the date the list is posted.
The MPRB is a tobacco free park system and workplace.
The MPRB is an equal opportunity employer.